Your orthodontist in Des Plaines, IL, can help your child’s smile.
You want your child’s smile to look great and feel great. Orthodontics can help! A straight smile can help your child speak well, look great, and have improved self-confidence.
Dr. Michael Durbin in Des Plaines, IL, offers comprehensive orthodontic treatment to help your child’s smile.
So, how do you know if your child might need orthodontic treatment? The truth is, your child’s jaws and face grow at different rates, and tooth eruption may be either slower or faster than it should be. The varying growth rates and tooth eruption patterns can result in crowding, spaces between teeth, poor jaw alignment, and other issues.
Your child may need orthodontic treatment if:
- Teeth are crowded together or rotated
- Teeth are erupting out of proper alignment
- There is not enough space for the erupting teeth
- There are too many teeth for the jaw size
- The upper jaw protrudes too far over the lower jaw (overbite)
- The lower jaw protrudes in front of the upper jaw (underbite)
- The jaws cross each other when biting down (crossbite)
- The front teeth don’t close together when biting down (open bite)
Orthodontics offers many options to achieve a straight smile, including:
- Conventional braces, which are metal brackets and wires
- Ceramic braces, which are tooth-colored brackets and clear wires
- Lingual braces, which are bonded to the back of teeth
There are also options that use plastic appliances, known as aligners, instead of brackets and wires. One of the most popular of these is Invisalign clear plastic aligners. They offer the convenience of being able to remove them to eat or to brush and floss. They are also the most discreet option.
A straight smile provides better chewing function and looks great. Your child deserves a straight beautiful smile! To find out more about how orthodontic treatment can help your child’s smile, call Dr. Durbin in Des Plaines, IL, at (847) 824-0154 now!